Supporting Young Bristol & NCS
NCS is a 3-week programme available to current Year 11 students during the summer holidays after they have completed their GCSE exams. The programme is split into 3 different phases: Adventure, Discover & Action.
Young Bristol was one of the largest providers of the NCS Programme for over 8 years, along with other charities all over the UK.
Young Bristol explains that the benefits of NCS are huge:
“It allows young people to be involved in something fun and exciting and to also mix with others across the city.”
Young Bristol ran the programme since 2011, and each year saw the massive difference the programme makes:
- The young people grow in confidence.
- Gain leadership skills.
- Learn how to work in a team.
- Go onto further Young Bristol lead opportunities and pathways to employment.
A typical NCS experience usually looks like this:
Phase 1 - Adventure
- A trip to the Brecon Beacons in Wales for 5 days and 4 nights
- Taking part in various outdoor activities including canoeing, gorge walking, hiking, team building activities, bushcraft & orienteering.
Phase 2 - Discover
- Experiencing university life for 5 days and 4 nights by staying in Bristol-based accommodation.
- Taking part in various sporting and creative activities including meeting employers & local charities, CV & interview-style workshops, PHSE style theatre sessions, learning how to play the ukulele and emergency first-aid.
Phase 3 - Action
- Taking part in 30 hours worth of volunteering within the city (it’s the most rewarding week of the programme!)
- This can be anything from fundraising events to awareness-raising or something as simple as going out of their way to help others.
There was a graduation event in September where the young people brought along their parents/guardians and show off the amazing work they’ve done over the summer. They received a nationally recognised certificate signed by the Prime Minister which they are encouraged to present during college applications and job interviews.
Along with their certificates, this year's participants also received a keepsake Woven Patch, produced by Aspinline. It has been designed by Young Bristol to encompass each aspect of the NCS phases.
Congratulations to all the NCS Graduates, and good luck in the future!